Happy St. Patrick’s Day!
Many of you may not actually know why we celebrate St. Patrick’s Day. The 17th of March is a religious and cultural celebration of the patron Saint of Ireland, it is believed to be the death date of Saint Patrick. Saint Patrick was born in Britain and was captured as a teenager by pirates and forced into slavery in Ireland. He escaped from slavery six years after being captured and went back to Britain to become a cleric. Eventually, he came back to Ireland as a Christian missionary and later in his life became a Bishop. He is now known as the ‘Apostle of Ireland’. Irish all over the world join together to celebrate the life of this Saint, and Portland is no different. St. Patrick’s Day in Portland is filled with fun events and we are going to give you a rundown of some activities to do nearby.
- St. Paddy’s Day Party at Bare Bones Cafe from 7am-9pm
- St. Patrick’s Day festival 2016 at Paddy’s Bar and Grill, family friendly from 10am-9:30pm
- Chloë Agnew ‘St.Patrick’s Day Celebration’ from 8-10pm
- St. Patrick’s Day Across the Land at McMenamins with live music from 5:30-10pm
- St. Patrick’s Day at The Eastburn with live music and yummy food, it goes from Thursday to Saturday
We hope this gives you some ideas of fun things to do in this great city. Don’t forget to wear your green. We hope that you have a fun and SAFE holiday!